SCREENING PARTY HAS BEEN RESCHEDULED TO MARCH 21ST. ALL OTHER INFORMATION IS CORRECT.
Welcome to the Screening Party Home Page!
Congrats on making it to Round 3!
What is it? It's an in-person interview with a group of 3-5 judges for 8-10 minutes, 3 times. It's a fast-paced way for community members and VVM alumni to learn more about your customers, product, services, market, goals, etc. Follow the steps below to get registered and we hope to see you here in a week!
Step 0 - Pick ONE delegate from your company to attend the required Screening Party on 3/21 at VVM at 4:15 PM EST.
Step 1 - Your delegate registers to participate in the Screening Party (deadline to register: 3/5 at 1:00 PM EST.)
We strongly encourage all Round 3 applicants to come to the in-person Screening Party. If no member of your team is able to represent you, in person, for very compelling reasons (someone would need to get on an airplane or you are getting married that evening), then fill out this form to request a video conferencing interview by 3/5 at 1:00 PM EST.
Information about travel and overnight stays can be found on the FAQs page.
VVM does not provide financial assistance for travel.
Anyone who does not register by the deadline is disqualified.
Step 2 - Review your peer feedback:
Find out where you communicated clearly and where you did not. Judges will likely ask questions about your customers, product, services, market, goals, etc. Know/hone your answers to these basic fundemental questions to make time for more in depth interesting questions. We recommend the following:
- Review your peer feedback to find out where you communicated clearly and what you need to work on.
- Create and memorize a 30-second elevator pitch that you will use to start your in-person interviews. You can use this template if you need some help.
- Be ready to answer questions relating to the interview criteria (listed in Step 3). Practice giving short, succinct answers because time is precious!
- Be on time, be open and ready to talk about and explain your startup, your team and your goals - repeatedly!
Step 3 - Review the Screening Party Interview Ballot:
The judges will have a series of 5 questions on their ballot. They will ask you specific questions (though not necessarily the ones below!) to find out how to rate you on a scale of 0-10 to answer the following:
- Commitment: Founder(s) have invested significant personal time and energy into entrepreneurship.
Suggested Questions: What percent (%) of your time (outside of school / work) do you spend on developing your ideas? How do you spend that time?
- Team/Founder: Has skills, expertise and passion to take startup to next level.
Suggested Questions: Tell us about the people on your team that have: technical skills to create the product, business skills and relationships to sell it, and attention to detail to keep it all running?
- Competitive Advantage: The startup knows their competitors and their products/services are superior to the competition.
Suggested Questions: Who are your competitors? How is your product/service superior? Why can you deliver this advantage and they cannot?
- Scale: This startup can scale beyond a traditional small business or professional services firm.
Suggested Questions: How do you intend to scale beyond a traditional small business or professional services firm?
- Overall: I think this team/founder should be in the program.
Suggested Questions: This is 100% up to you! How would YOU like to learn the answer?
Step 4 - The Screening Party!
- Delegates are required to arrive at 4:15 PM EST at VVM for check in, group assignments, and instructions. We will validate parking, so follow the directions to park in the garage.
- You will receive instructions on what to do and where to sit, plus you get to meet other startups!
- Judges arrive at 5:00 PM EST and will be given instructions.
- Screening Party begins - each startup will have 8 minutes Q&A with 2 groups of judges. Format will be casual, seated in a circle, no slides, etc.
- Afterwards - judges and startups are invited to hang out Champions next door!
Why only one person per startup?
Crowd control and focus. This event has a lot of people, moving parts and a lot at stake. Having only one delegate per team during group interview process will allow for more focus on answers and less on people logistics. Thank you for your cooperation. Any extra team members will hang out at the Sports Bar next door!
Have additional questions? Email Dorota at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include your company name!